Sunday, July 6, 2014

Muslim Prayers

It is 3:22am in the morning and I am in Cairo, Egypt. I slept through most of Saturday but ventured out for money, food and wifi around 5pm. A man at the Evangelical Seminary of Cairo gate, where I am staying, spoke in Arabic explaining where to find a bank and main street with shops. Thankfully, an American who spoke English came through just at that time and walked with me. He explained it is advisable not to walk alone as a woman, a cautionary tip I have received from many now.

Poverty is rampant, but in my humble estimation, India is still worse. Egypt is similar to what I have seen in the West Bank, Turkey and other. It is a conglomeration of places visited, but unique in that it is a harsher landscape, rugged and God is harder to find. It is worlds away from the pristine town of Romer, Germany where I sat at a sidewalk cafe looking towards the river and watching World Cup fans stroll by. Germany won yesterday and the youth decked in flags, red, yellow and black, could not have been more overjoyed. Smacking on lipstick, swigging their beer on the train, they have little knowledge of what it is like to be an Egyptian youth, growing up in trash, filth and poverty. And the truth is, neither do I.

Muslim prayers have woken me up, even though I wasn't sleeping. I remember the first time I heard Muslim prayers in Israel, having just arrived and been situated in my room looking out onto the Old City walls. They were later in the morning, however. Around 5am or so and their melodic sound rose with the sun. I fell in love with the sound of Muslim prayers at that time. It was one of the most beautiful chants I had ever heard. The Muslim population in Egypt is in the midst of Ramadan, so perhaps prayers come more frequently throughout the day or night. The sound is similar to a wailing with words, a call to God. It is methodical in its yearning. Sacred in its wish.

I am grateful for this experience. Within this short time, I feel a closeness to God that is different. This trip is on God's terms, not mine. In many ways, my past trips have been what I wanted, though my first trip to Israel was God-directed. I could not have dreamt up the opportunity to travel for Fuller to Israel in my wildest dreams. This trip for my practicum, to Egypt, is God's and I know it. We are in sync. I am protected and there is much to be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment