Monday, July 7, 2014

Learning

Today was my first day of work. It didn't turn out as planned when the doctor didn't show for our appointment. I sat in the office with Ernest who did not speak more than 14 words of English, but who offered me tea and apples as we sat, he on the phone and me reading my camera guide.

An hour later, someone decided he should drive me to Shoubra, a few minutes from Tahreer Square where we were. What a trip that was! The rule in Egypt on the road is: there are NO rules! This cannot be underestimated in the slightest bit. Egyptian traffic is sheer and utter chaos for miles. People, animals, cars, bikes, buses, taxis all fighting for the smallest right of way. Upon arrival at the training center, I was greeted by a woman and two Christian men--one a current seminary student and one a graduate. We had a great conversation about the needs of the church in Cairo, particularly the needs for youth. For the first time in history, youth are asking questions about faith, and the men feel it is good.

We were joined an hour later by a harried doctor who did not expect me but had come to the office to greet me. She asked some questions about my time in Egypt, what the head doctor had planned and why I had come. Her response to my answers was: "that all sounds great, but we have one big problem--you can't speak Arabic." I felt an immediate rush of embarrassment come over me as I questioned myself what the head doctor could have been thinking. How was I going to be of service in this foreign context in which the language barrier was great? I resolved that God had brought me this far, the head doctor must have known I was not fluent as he mentioned situating me with English speaking doctors, and to sit tight as more was to be revealed.

The afternoon, as we all tried to figure out what to do with me until the head doctor returned on Saturday, was filled with talk about the program, drug addiction in Egypt, the difference between male and female stigmatization, God's place in recovery and the Revolution. Little did I know that I was sitting with Arab revolutionaries that had been fed up years before and taken to the streets much before the January 2011 eruption. They had been "making noise" for a long time, and then one day, someone heard it. And the sound they made brought down a 30 year regime.

It was a fascinating day as we each learned from each other. Five Egyptians to one mis-fielded American. God was present in our discussion as we worked to fill my schedule through the week. Tomorrow, a new friend will teach me Arabic and then we will head to the Maadi Girls Recovery Center. God will do the work, I need only to show up and stay open to the learning.

1 comment:

  1. That is a typical first day at work anywhere you go... 

    ReplyDelete